Welcome to the World Jersey Cattle Bureau
 
Annual Meeting of the WJCB Council

Record of the the proceedings

The draft minutes of the annual meeting of the Council of the World Jersey Cattle Bureau can be downloaded and printed from this link:  WJCB Council Minutes 2012.pdf They also appear in full below:

The meeting convened at 06.30 hrs on Monday 4th June,

at the Hotel Sonesta, Bogota, Colombia.

 

1)   President’s Welcome:

Derrick Frigot, President WJCB, welcomed delegates and members to the annual meeting of the Council.  He thanked ASO Jersey Colombia for hosting the Bureau, its President, Gonzalo Maldonado, the staff of the association and all those involved for their hard work in bringing to fruition what is an excellent programme.


2)   Members present:

Councilors: Derrick Frigot (President, Jersey), Johannes Van Eeden (Vice President Africa,  South Africa), Peter Ness (Vice President Oceania, Australia), Anders Levring (Vice President Europe, Denmark), Dr Cherie Bayer (Vice President North America, USA), Agustin Robredo (Vice President South America, Argentina), Steve Le Feuvre (Treasurer, Jersey), James Godfrey (Secretary, Jersey), Gonzalo Maldonado (Colombia), Maria Uricoechea (Colombia), John Bailey (NZ), Rodney Dobson (NZ), Peter Larson (Denmark), Roger Trewhella (UK), Jacobo Cabassa (Guatemala), Kelvin Trotman (Australia),      

Observers: Jorge Martinez (Colombia), Robert Norman (Jersey), Ian Anderson (Australia), Winsome Anderson (Australia), Des Hickey (NZ), Alison Gibb (NZ), Russell Gibb (NZ), Paul Frecklington (NZ), Bob Morris (NZ), Margaret Morris (NZ), Jose de Lemos (Brazil), Thomas Godfrey (Jersey).

Apologies were received from: Anne Perchard (Patron, Jersey), Laetitia d’Arenberg (Uruguay), Brian & Shirley Carter (President Jersey NZ), Ross & Carol Turner (NZ), Kathryn Kyle (Executive Secretary Jersey Canada), Bill Maness (USA), Anne Corner (UK), Poena van Niekerk (South Africa), Bob & Annette Potts (NZ), Maurice Core (USA), Neil Smith (Executive Secretary AJCA, USA), Richard Tyrell (Ireland), John Le Feuvre (Jersey), Paul Houze (Jersey), Suzanne le Feuvre (Jersey), Scott Joynson (Australia), Trevor Saunders (President Jersey Australia), Russell Gammon (Canada), Charles Reader (President UK Jerseys). 


3)   To approve the minutes of the meeting of Council, held in New Zealand, February 2011:

The minutes had been circulated previously and were adopted by unanimous approval on the proposition of Peter Ness and seconded by Cherie Bayer.


4)   Matters arising from the minutes:

a)      Ethics of cattle photography:  A final draft wording was circulated and read to the meeting by the Secretary as follows: Photographic images of Jersey animals are essential for documenting advances in breed improvement, and for the effective promotion and marketing of Jersey cattle and genetics worldwide.  Because of their critical role in evaluation, breeding and purchasing decisions, photographs must be an authentic depiction of the animal.  After a photographic image has been recorded or captured, any alteration to the body of the animal, by any person and by any method, is deemed deceptive by the World Jersey Cattle Bureau and is therefore declared an unethical advertising and marketing practice.  The Bureau encourages Jersey recording societies to endorse this statement and communicate it to members, marketers and photographers of Jersey cattle in their respective countries.”  The President thanked Cherie Bayer for her contribution in crafting the wording and asked for any comments.  A number of Council members separated the issue of ‘fixing’ animals, for example at shows which had clear animal welfare implications with many practices being banned, from the manipulating of images.   There was general discussion as to how cattle breeders no longer place any credibility in the images of bull daughters being reproduced in promotional material and comment on how this does not do any good for the public perception of the dairy industry in general.  Anders Levring and Peter Larson explained their position as representatives of an artificial breeding organisation.  They stated that in Denmark photographers would only alter characteristics that are deemed to have no economic importance and that as long as competitor organisations continued with the practice then so must they.  There was discussion about how effective such a statement might be, but the meeting agreed that it would be pointing the right way forward for the industry as a whole.  It was agreed on the proposition of Cherie Bayer, seconded by Peter Ness, that the Council adopt and publish this statement circulating it to the member associations.  All were in favour with the exception of Anders Levring and Peter Larson for the reasons outlined above.  

b)      Youth Travel Programme:  The Secretary reported that he and the President had been in ongoing discussion with Agriventure and they believed that the right course of action was for the Council to agree to the President signing the joint venture agreement, as had been circulated, and commence with the launch of a Jersey breed specific youth programme as soon as possible.  This was agreed with all in favour. 

c)      National cattle identification systems:  The Secretary updated the meeting by saying that national associations, other than the Island of Jersey, had not furnished him with further information on the systems pertaining in their respective countries and he would proceed to publish on the website the information that he had and if other associations wished to set out their position then he would publish the information received.     

d)      Classification harmonisation meetings:  Peter Larson commented that, whilst the intention of the meeting in New Zealand had been good, the outcome had not matched the intention.  It was agreed, with all in favour, that Peter Larson would contact Neil Smith to review the work and output of the harmonisation meetings over the years and prepare a report for the Council to consider at its next meeting with recommendations for the future. 


5)   To appoint a Senior Vice President from among the regional Vice Presidents:

It was unanimously agreed on the proposition of Steve Le Feuvre and seconded by Gonzalo Maldonado that the Senior Vice President is Johannes van Eeden, as the next conference would be held in the African region.


6)   To discuss Bureau Business:

It was noted that the following reports had been posted on the web site in advance of the meeting. 

     a) President’s report:  This was adopted on the proposition of Cherie Bayer, seconded by Johannes van Eeden, with all in agreement. 

     b) Vice President’s reports:  These were adopted on the proposition of Gonzalo Maldonado, seconded by Peter Larson, with all in agreement.     

     c) Secretary’s report:  This was adopted on the proposition of Peter Ness, seconded by Peter Larson, with all in agreement. 

     d) Treasurers report:  This was adopted on the proposition of Peter Ness, seconded by John Bailey, with all in agreement.  The Treasurer highlighted the delay in receipt of the conference commission from New Zealand which had placed the Bureau in a difficult position to meet its commitments at the end of the year, although it was noted monies had been sent earlier, they had not been received.  It was agreed that procedures for reconciling payments need to be improved, including an addition to the Memorandum of Understanding between the Bureau and the host nation to endeavor to make payment within three months of the close of the event.    

     e) Approval of Financial Statements for 2011:  The President informed the meeting that as the Treasurer was only able to be present for the first session of the Council meeting he had taken the decision to ensure that an audit of the statements had been carried out ahead of the meetings as there would be no time to appoint an audit team as in prior years.  The previous evening a meeting had been held between the Treasurer and Secretary together with Rodney Dobson, Roger Trewhella and Jacobo Cabassa to examine, in detail, the Financial Statements as published together the supporting ledgers and bank statements.  The three agreed that the accounts were all in order.  The Council unanimously agreed the approval of the Financial Statements on the proposition of Roger Trewhella and seconded by Rodney Dobson. 

         Budgets 2012 to 2014:  The Secretary circulated an indicative budget for the three years explaining that, whilst the Council was not committed to the expenditure illustrated, both he and the Treasurer liked to prepare some realistic figures for the Council to assess priorities over the coming years.  In terms of basic administrative income and expenditure he highlighted the reduced secretariat fee which, together with the sundry overhead expenses and set against the subscription and commission income should leave a surplus of approximately £10,000 over the period.  The key issue was the resources that the Council wished to commit to the key projects of JETA, the history book and the World Jersey Cheese Awards.  The Secretary then circulated a detailed budget on the production of the history book (copies of the budgets being attached to the minutes in the file).  It was noted that the full production cost, including the initial work in Denmark, was 61,000 GBP and with sponsorship raised to date of 53,000 GBP which included a loan of 20,000 GBP from the Lord Jersey Research Trust.  The following was agreed in relation to publication of the book:

·         It was noted that, although there was sufficient reserves to ensure publication, a final push would be made to corporate and private sponsors.  A target of 25,000 GBP in additional sponsorship would repay the bulk of the Lord Jersey Research Trust loan and cover publication costs thus ensuring that full sale value is donated to the Trust. 

·         The print deadline would be 6th October to enable pre-Christmas sales to be fulfilled.

·         The members associations would be offered a substantial discount to bulk purchase for marketing within their respective countries. 

·         A re-print in Spanish would be undertaken following the publication of the English version with an offer from the association in Argentina to undertake the translation at no cost.

The Council considered the World Jersey Cheese Awards and agreed to form a sub-committee consisting of Cherie Bayer, Johannes van Eeden, Roger Trewhella and the Secretary to report back to the following session.

The Council then considered the JETA programme and agreed to form a sub-committee consisting of the President and Vice Presidents to report back to the following session.

     f)  Membership Fees for the year:  There was some discussion on whether a modest rise was appropriate and it was agreed that the President would seek the views of member associations prior to the following session.   

     g) Appointment of auditors:  It was agreed that the process adopted was sufficient and that the Financial Statements for the year end would be examined along with the supporting ledgers and bank statements by an appointed delegation of the Council at its next meeting.    


6)  Report of the Lord Jersey Research Trust:

Steve Le Feuvre circulated a report previously published indicating that the Trust had retained reserves of some 3,350 GBP at the year end following the loan to the Bureau. 

The President thanked the Treasurer and Secretary for their extensive work on the budgeting and noted that the Treasurer would not be able to attend the following session.  The meeting was adjourned at 09.30hrs and reconvened at 06.30 hrs on Thursday 7th June at the same location.  The attendance was as for the first session with the addition of Karin Knolle (USA).

The Council stood in remembrance of Jersey friends and members who had passed away during the year, Diana Cross, Arthur Berry, Claus von Arnhim, Ned Stirling, Jim Cheney, Mark Shaw and Philip Myburgh.


8) To discuss future WJCB Meetings:

     a)  Annual Meeting 2013, 2015 & 2017:

       The President reported that he had received communication from the association in Japan explaining that a visit to their country would not be possible in light of recent events.  An invitation had been received from Jersey Australia to hold the meetings in that country in May 2013.  It was unanimously agreed to accept the invitation and Jersey Australia were thanked for stepping in at short notice.  Peter Ness explained that a meeting would be held on the 20th June at which an outline would be put together.

     An invitation had been received from Ecuador to hold the 2015 annual meeting in that country but the Council agreed to write and suggest that the meetings are held there in 2017.  Instead a mission to India would be planned for 2015 and Cherie Bayer agreed to outline a potential plan for consideration at the next meeting in Australia.    

     b)  20th International Conference, South Africa 2014:

       Johannes Van Eeden reported on behalf of Jersey SA that the programme was developing well with the first week to be spent in and around Cape Town, moving to Swellendam for the conference and a post week spent in Natal.  Possible additional visits to Namibia or Zambia would be researched.  The emphasis would be on delivering an affordable programme to attract greater participation. 

c)  Annual Meeting and regional conference, UK 2016:

       Roger Trewhella reported that at this stage consideration was being given to a pre-meeting study tour to Ireland followed by the regional conference in Scotland and North of England.  There could also be a study tour at the end to the Island of Jersey. 

d)  21st International Conference, USA 2018:

Cherie Bayer reported that this was at early planning stage but wished to receive the views of Council with regard to the hosting of a youth congress alongside the main conference programme, this would be non commissionable to keep costs as low as possible.  The Council was supportive of the idea and agreed that a steering committee be established to develop ideas and consisting of Cherie Bayer, Lisa Broad (youth coordinator Jersey Australia), Alison Gibb (youth coordinator Jersey New Zealand), Poena van Niekerk (South Africa), Peter Larson (Denmark) and Maria Uricoechea (Colombia). 

 


9) To discuss any other business:

a)  Establishment of a foundation to support nascent Jersey populations:

     Peter Larson reported that this proposition came as a result of the experiences of the Danish association in helping the development of the breed in Albania.  He explained how the association in Albania needed support and by donating semen to a market that otherwise would not be purchasing commercial supplies then the chances of the Jersey population being developed true to the breed are greatly increased.  The Secretary also gave details of how the RJA&HS in the Island of Jersey had helped to establish a breeding programme in Rwanda with similar donations.  It was felt that there was potential in this, possibly working through existing agencies including Heifer Project International.  It was agreed, with all in favour (except Jacobo Cabassa, who felt that there were more urgent projects for the Bureau to be considering), that Peter Larson, in conjunction with Johannes van Eeden (SA), Cari Wolfe (USA) and the President, would prepare a paper on the technicalities of this for the next meeting in Australia. 

b)  The JETA Programme:

The President reported back on the meeting of the Vice Presidents who all agreed that the JETA programme should continue and that sponsorship must be achieved to cover the costs.  There was consideration given as to whether all five regions of the Bureau are represented or whether the number of winners is reduced to match the budget available.  The possibility of each region raising sponsorship to send their own candidate was also discussed.  It was agreed that Cherie Bayer would prepare a list of potential sponsors and by the end of this year the Council will be in a position to agree the format. 

c)  Invitation for Jersey breed representation at ICAR:

Correspondence from the World Holstein Federation was discussed and the role that the Jersey breed might play.  The Council felt that more information was needed to clarify the position.  It was understood that the next meeting of ICAR is to be held in Denmark and it was agreed that the Secretary would write to ICAR and request that Anders Levring and Peter Larson attend the meeting as observers with a view to reporting back to the next Bureau meeting in Australia. 

e)  UK Jerseys suggestion to lodge genomic data with ICAR:

Roger Trewhella introduced the topic as having been discussed at the European Jersey Forum following the decision of the Brown Swiss breed to pool their data with one organisation with the aim of building a more reliable reference population.  There was considerable discussion on progress with genomic analysis both in the USA and Denmark, who were in the midst of negotiating a data sharing agreement whereby the information on the Jersey breed would increase substantially.  It was also noted that much would change next year following the end of the exclusive period on the testing process in USA.  It was generally accepted that the most important aspects of this research are the need to improve the reliability of information through sharing data by building a larger tested population, but at the same time ensuring that the data is owned by the cattle breeders who have funded the testing in the first place.  The involvement of the artificial breeding organisations would be critical in the process.  The Council agreed that the proposition was premature and that the discussions between the USA and Denmark should be allowed to reach a conclusion as this would likely set the way forward for data sharing in the Jersey breed as a whole.

f)  WJCB Life Membership programme:

The President requested that Council give consideration to this programme whereby Bureau news is circulated to the membership versus the desire to build a greater data base of Jersey breed contacts.  After a short discussion it was agreed on the proposition of Johannes van Eeden, and seconded by Jacobo Cabassa, with all in favour, that the Life Membership scheme would continue and that at the same time the secretariat should enlarge the contact list at every opportunity to ensure the news of the Bureau is spread as widely as possible. 

g)  Membership Fees – report back:

The President reported that having spoken to the associations represented he felt that there was a need to help countries with small populations continue their involvement with the Bureau as full members but at the same time ensuring that the membership fees are increased modestly so that they maintain value.  It was agreed on the proposition of Johannes van Eeden, and seconded by Peter Ness, that the secretariat would bring forward a paper for discussion at the next meeting in Australia.  

h)  World Jersey Cheese Awards – report back:

Cherie Bayer reported on the discussions held stating that this initiative as one of the most important for the Bureau as it is focused on product development and commercial sales.  The Council agreed with proceeding with the awards in 2012 and recorded thanks to the RJA&HS for their sponsorship of 1,000 GBP.  It was agreed that a promotional dossier would be prepared illustrating the effect the awards were having on individual producers who were reporting increased sales as a result, and this would be used to help attract sponsorship.  The target would be to achieve 40% funding by the meetings in Australia in order that planning could be agreed for the 2014 awards.

i)   Bureau web site:

Peter Ness suggested that a calendar of important Jersey breed events round the world is posted on the web site and this was agreed.  The possibility of raising revenue through advert sales was discussed although the Secretary pointed out that the web host of the site did not permit advertising as the system was developed for the not-for-profit sector and the subscription fee reflected that. 

j)   Papers from the 19th Conference – New Zealand:

John Bailey confirmed that the Secretariat had received copies of the conference papers although Cherie Bayer asked whether the video recordings of the JETA presentations would be available. The Secretary confirmed that he had asked Jersey NZ about this.

k)  Honorary Life Membership of Jersey New Zealand:

John Bailey reported that Anne Perchard had been awarded Honorary Life Membership of the association in recognition of her contribution to the breed worldwide.

l)   European Jersey Forum:

Anders Levring reported that the EJF would be meeting in the Island of Jersey between the 4th and 9th October to coincide with the RJA&HS Autumn Show and the hosting of the World Jersey Cheese Awards. 

g)  Breed progress in South America:

Agustin Robredo reported on the growing interest in the breed in South America which could be greatly enhanced by co-operation between countries in the continent.  He questioned whether the suppliers of Jersey semen might be able to assist by providing information on who is using it so that they could be involved in the forming of national associations.  Jorge Martinez posed the question as to whether a South American Jersey Forum should be formed to mirror the European Jersey Forum.  Anders Levring explained how the EJF worked and that information on it would be posted through the Bureau web site.  The President encouraged the countries in South America to give this serious consideration.

 

There was no further business and the President concluded the meeting by thanking the Asociacion Colombiana de Criadores de Ganado Jersey (ASO JERSEY), and Gonzalo Maldonado as President, for hosting the Council this year and congratulating them on an excellent programme.  He remarked how delegates were fascinated by the country and overwhelmed by the warmth of the welcome they had received in Colombia and in Guatemala before.  The meeting closed at 09.00 hrs.

 


© World Jersey Cattle Bureau
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software